Thursday, February 19, 2009

Happy One Year Anniversary!!

Today is the official one year anniversary of Jami being told that she wasn't going to die and that she had a small glimmer of hope if she wanted to keep going. They don't have an official celebration standard for this type of occasion, so I'm going to wing it and kind of make up my own.

In case people are confused, on Feb 15th Jami was sent to the University of Utah hospital by Air Med. She was put in ICU that night and we knew it was bad, but it wasn't until the morning of the 16th that they told us that she was going to die and that she would be lucky to make it through the night. Jami, being the fighter that she is, told the doctors they were wrong and that she was going to live. Everyone rallied around her and she told us all sorts of stories, including her story about falling like a heifer and being nakie on the floor...rofl! Oh...if you missed that one I'm sorry...I will have to post her telling it sometime. It embarrasses her now, so I'll see if I can get her to tell it again.

She also got to finally drink Coke and boy did she ever! She drank 4 cans of Coke and a liter of Squirt and then woke up on the morning of the 17th panicked because she was worried she was having a heart attack. When my mom asked if it could possibly be indigestion from the soda Jami went "Phew! I was worried I was dieing...can I have another sip of Coke." There were so many visitors and so much support from everyone that we will never be able to thank everyone the way we wish we could. It was great to see everyone and the hospital staff was amazed that so many people came to visit one person. Just goes to show that Jami is one special little lady.

About 6:30 on Tuesday the 19th (Holly's Birthday...Happy Birthday Holly!!!!) Dr. Mulvihill came in with all of his crew (they were lined up down the hall) and told Jami that she looked better than the last time he saw her and that there was a small glimmer of hope if she wanted to keep going. HOLY COW!!! What a moment! I don't think I'll ever forget him walking in and telling us that. We all just sat there and cried. I thought I'd provide a short trip down memory lane as you look at the pictures you can pretend the song "Memories" is playing...or Mary Had a Little Lamb if you like that one better...


This is Jami at my house during radiation time in December of 07


Jami in the Huntsman after Palliative care Feb 2008


Jami writing on her magnadoodle Summer 2008 UofU SICU


Smile for the camera!!


Here's Jami intubated in Promise LTAC Summer 2008


She's going to kill me for this, but this was Jami being silly and posing for me after getting off of inutbation Summer 2008


December 2008 Jami in UofU MICU



This is the most recent picture of Jami I have. Here she is on Sunday Feb 15th at home

4 comments:

Holly Jo said...

Jami you are amaizing!!! I am so glad we can share this special day together. Next year you will be all better and I will take you for lunch, and then you can take me for ice cream.:) sounds like a date to me. Love you Squeaks

Russ said...

Julie, you did a great job.
Got me going. Remember the little box of Rice Krispies with lots of milk and sugar, it put her in hog heaven and the .2 mile ambulance ride from the U to the Huntsman where they wondered if she was with the Mofia and the VIP room at the Huntsman

Marilyn said...

You guys are making me laugh and cry. What a ride it has been. Thanks Julie and Jami for the memories.
Hang in there Jami.

Jennie said...

i have to admit, i am in tears reading this! i was thinking about jami all weekend for this very reason! i will never forget this weekend either!

what a ride! i am so blessed to know all of you! jami, you are one amazing lady! i sure love you!