Sunday, June 7, 2009

Huntsman time

Phew! I'm back and Jami is out of ICU. She's in the special care unit at Huntsman now. Here she is last night (she wanted to mention that she had a long day) she still looks nice though :)



She's having to wear her bi-pap almost 24/7, but she's finally finally sleeping really well. Earlier this week things were a little scary to be quite honest. Jami had lost her fight and was pretty much ready to give up. They were having problems with the intubation working right and before she went to bed that night she really thought that this was it. When she opened her eyes the next morning she looked around and was all "Holy Shit! I'm alive!" Yes, those are her words...not mine :) We told her that she doesn't get to decide everything and she actually has that fight back in her again. We had been fighting and fighting with her to wear her bi-pap and it was just a loosing battle. The one doctor came in and talked to her and was saying how with the resuscitate clause on her that they were technically obligated to make her wear the mask. She made the decision to go on to DNR (do not resuscitate). This doesn't mean that she has decided not to continue to fight and they will still do the antibiotics and everything, but now she isn't being forced to wear her mask. I will say that she wears it better now than she ever has though. She's kinda...well...hard headed...when she gets to make the calls she's fine. She has been on the DNR/DNI before so this is nothing new. The plan is still to work on getting the extra water off of her. She has so much water on her hips that she can't sit at a 90 degree angle. Once she's sitting we'll take her home. Right now she's mostly resting. Her body is tired and she's needed to have the mask and just sleep. It was cute because I was watching her sleep and she was crunching her eyebrows and then lifting them back up and moving her shoulders and hands. I don't know what she was dreaming, but she looked happy :)

Today was a pretty lazy/relaxing day. Yesterday we did finish my porch (yay!). I'll get some pics of that posted and I also have pictures and stories from my geek fest last week. I wanted to make sure to get the Jami update in first though.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

julie! thanks so much for the jami update! i am so glad jami is feeling a tad better!

and... i can't wait to see the finished product... your patio! how fun!