Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Let's Negotiate This...

Jami is still in ICU and she's septic (infection in her bloodstream). Whenever she goes septic her temperature drops to 96 or 97 and she gets delusional. She's doing so much better, but we'll just say she's in "a mood"....holy cow!!! is she in a mood!!!! She has been quite a little pill and then when my mom was on the phone Jami called the nurse and said "we need to negotiate this...can't I take this bipap off for 30 minutes" She was told no, so she started to cry and then was like "take my temp then...come on...work with me..." She wanted her temp taken because she has a thing called a bear hugger on her that keeps her warm. She HATES being hot and so this blanket is pure torture for her. The nurse came in and took her temp and Jami thought it was normal and she's all "finally...things are on my terms now...I'll keep this blanket on for a few minutes, but then it's off" When I asked what she meant and told her she couldn't take it off she got upset. Poor thing....she just wants to negotiate...



Just as an FYI she did agree to me taking this picture for memory's sake however, I was told point blank "I will NOT pose for this picture"....thus...here she is in ALL her glory...

I will say that there were some issues getting the art line in so they can monitor her blood pressure as well as her blood gas. I thought I'd put her battle wounds for you to see...



She's such a hard one to predict. She's loopy, but she's conscious. When we first got her in there my parents were talking to one of the doctors and saying how they thought her CO2 was high. He looked at them and said point blank "she does NOT have respiratory problems"....once they got her blood gas back and it was 70 he actually came in and apologized. He did say he'd only seen one other person with such high levels and still conscious...she may not be able to negotiate, but she's conscious.

They did find that she had an abcess and they went in and drained over a cup of puss and junk out of it. That's why she's septic now, but all in all she's doing MUCH better. The plan is for her to leave ICU tomorrow and go up to Huntsman for the rest of her stay. PS...now that I've posted that, something will happen and she'll be in ICU for the next week....

1 comment:

Jennie said...

oh geez! poor jami! the bear hugger thing is a trip! never seen anything like that before! wow! i agree with jami! being hot is NOT FUN!

my prayers are with her... well all of you... :)