Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Girls Day

So I took Monday and Tuesday off and my mom came down so we could fuse glass together. We ended up going shopping for glass and some craft things too. On Monday we found the retaining wall my mom wants too...yay!! People have given us so many awesome plants and we want to have a special spot for them. For years we've wanted to make a retaining wall along the ditch and just have a bit of a raised bed. We're finally going to do it! Yay! Off my mom and I go (like typical women) to pick out the wall. There's this place called Amcor right by my house and it's wholesale and seconds. We found the wall we wanted and found out it would be 4 pallets plus the caps. We paid for them and went on our merry way. My dad (being the smart man he is) asks how much each pallet weighs...we didn't ask that...oops. We called and ummm...yah....two of the pallets are 3200 lbs each and the other two are 3500 lbs each AND the caps are 50 lbs each and we have about 80 of those. HOLY HEAVY!! Yup...fun times at the Petersen's this weekend. We're pouring a concrete base too! I'm a concrete pro!!! If anyone feels strong come on over :) My poor dad called our neighbor and he has a truck he uses for moving tractors and such and he's going to help us get these home.

The other thing we figured out is what we're going to do for Jami's headstone. It's hard because it's so permanent and we don't want it to be cheesy. Chris had a friend pass away recently and they etched a Greg Olsen picture on hers and it looks great. We're going to have the picture of Jesus with the little girl (it's called Friends by Liz Lemon Swindle if you want to see it) etched on her headstone. The picture is so much like Jami and some people actually thought it was custom made...so exciting! One of my neighbors put it the very best when she said planning a funeral is like planning a wedding and we did it in 5 days. It's a lot of work and many many decisions. I've decided that this is why I'm still single :D I've been trying to use this as my excuse, but the argument is you take more than five days to plan a wedding...either way it's lots of work.

Don't go into shock, but I've actually lost my voice too. I sound very funny and my dad sent me a text saying how sad he was that I called my mom and not him so I called him and he couldn't quit laughing at me because I squeak so bad. If I talk really low then it's ok, but it kinda hurts to talk that low, so...I squeak.

2 comments:

Rachel and Derrik said...

Sounds like you had a blast!!! The retaining wall will be lots of fun to build, I am so not jealous ;) I am wondering how you can manage to tear yourself away from the kiln to build the wall....

Jennie said...

wow... always an adventure at the petersen home! :)

hope all went well!